What is observation space?

In reinforcement learning, what is meant by observation space? Is it the different possible states in the game that we are talking about?

Hey @nikhil_sarda, The state space and observation space may as well overlap most importantly for the sake of convenience as in cases of most RL toy & simulated problems/ environments. The Gym environments are modeled as POMDPs (paper), which justifies using of the term ‘observation’ instead of ‘state’ and also essentially imply that the Gym environment is partially observed by the agent. But Gym does not provide any information regarding the actual or complete state space of any environment. So ultimately the observation space becomes a vector of all the states Gym uses to model an environment.

For detailed explanation on Reinforcement Learning, you can also go through this blog.

I hope this clears your doubt ! :+1:
Happy Learning ! :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope I’ve cleared your doubt. I ask you to please rate your experience here
Your feedback is very important. It helps us improve our platform and hence provide you
the learning experience you deserve.

On the off chance, you still have some questions or not find the answers satisfactory, you may reopen
the doubt.