Most Significant Bit Approach

In the MSB approach, it is taught that for 8 bits, there are total 255 numbers possible, instead of 256. So, 1 number is lost. But when Sir explained that there are two impossible numbers, i.e., a negative 0 and a positive 0, then these are two numbers. So, two two numbers should be lost, instead of 1. And hence, the total possible numbers should be 254. Then how 255? Please explain.

@saijaltripathy_e79096f8f1ec20e3 255 is the integer not a number of numbers you can store. There’s a difference meaning for 8 bits you can store 0 to 255 which total equals to 256 elements. but when MSB concept is used 1 bit is lost not one number one bit is lost so only 7 bits can be used for which totals 128 elements from 0 to 127. Now talking about neg 0 and pos 0 it is totally not related to losing a bit. It meant that when we use MSB concept we can have neg 0 (10000000) and pos 0 (00000000) nothing is lost here its only that there is an anomaly occuring here.

I hope I’ve cleared your doubt. I ask you to please rate your experience here
Your feedback is very important. It helps us improve our platform and hence provide you
the learning experience you deserve.

On the off chance, you still have some questions or not find the answers satisfactory, you may reopen
the doubt.

Please elaborate. I could not get it.

@saijaltripathy_e79096f8f1ec20e3 what you didn’t get ?

I could not understand anything. Please explain everything again.

@saijaltripathy_e79096f8f1ec20e3 Please read carefully the previous replies and then tell me the specific thing you are having problem in.

I hope I’ve cleared your doubt. I ask you to please rate your experience here
Your feedback is very important. It helps us improve our platform and hence provide you
the learning experience you deserve.

On the off chance, you still have some questions or not find the answers satisfactory, you may reopen
the doubt.