Is Password Length More Important Than Complexity?

A long password made from relatively simple characters can sometimes seem safer than a short password packed with numbers and symbols. When creating passwords, do you prioritize length first or try to maximize character variety as well? The site’s password tools emphasize both length and combinations of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

Jumping in on this older post because this question still matters a lot. I think length beats complexity most of the time. A random passphrase like “correct horse battery staple” is way harder to crack than a short mess like “P@ss1”. The real trick is making passwords both long and easy to remember. What do you all think — do you still lean toward complicated symbols or just go long and simple?

I usually aim for length first, then add variety. For truly random combinations, I rely on a password generator to avoid predictable patterns. The Strong Password Generator lets me set exactly the length and character types I want, and I often use its QR feature to transfer passwords to my phone. It takes the guesswork out of creating credentials that are both long and complex.